Potomac River Information
Tides matter on the water, low water presents problems entering some creeks off the river due to sand bars across the entrances. Below are tide tables for Dahlgren and tide offsets up and down the river to allow estimation of tide at other locations.
- Dahlgren - Upper Machodoc Creek Tides - 2017
- Dahlgren - Upper Machodoc Creek Tides - 2018
- Tidal Differences and Other Constants
- Wind Conditions at Baber Point Light at mouth of Upper Machodoc Creek at Dahlgren
- NOAA Wind Forecast for Chesapeake Bay
- NOAA Chesapeake Bay Recent Marine Data
Potomac Weapon Range
NSWC Dahlgren operates a weapons range from the 301 Bridge south on the Potomac River occupying most of the river width. The range is marked on the river with yellow buoys. Part or all of the range may be closed on any part of any day. During closure all boating activity in the closed section is prohibited. If you are in the vicinity during closure check with the range boat for clearance to transit the range. Transit might be possible between test shots depending upon range activities and transit time but only following authorization from the range. Check the following link for the current schedule of operations and contact information.
Everyone needs charts
- NOAA Office of Coast Survey Downloadable PDF Charts
- National Geospatial Agency US Notice to Mariners
Water quality is important if you are on the water and in contact with it. Even if you are not swimming, water spray will get on you, and the bottom silt when you pull up an anchor. The following links are a starting point.