DYC Sewage Pump Out Use
Standard Operating Procedure
16 Nov 2015
Only trained members will operate the sewage pump-out unit. Contact the Dockmaster if training is required.
- Two people.
- Green hose attached to pump
- Extension cord w/adaptor,
- Rubber gloves,
- Five-gallon bucket,
- Liquid bleach
- Yellow hose in pump out room. (leave it there)
- Garden hose in pump out room. (leave it there)
- Gain access to the pump storage trailer and the pump out room on dockhouse
- There are 2 clear glass jars on the pump, make sure the one near the handles has oil in it. Extra oil (automatic transmission oil-hydraulic #10) is in storage area. Fill to mark. Make sure the other jar, on the green side of the pump is not more than 1/3 full.
- The green hose is for waste removal from your boat.
- The yellow hose is for discharging waste into the sewer onshore, and should be stored in the pump out room (leave it there).
- Close all valves (handles perpendicular to hose/valves)
- Roll the pump with green hose attached to your boat. You may have to reposition your boat to allow for hose length.
- Plug pump into electric outlet (might need ext cord/adaptor)
- Insert the green hose in boat "waste" fitting. You will need one person to hold it there, as it is press fit.
- Open green valve on pump.
- Turn pump switch to 'on'.
- Wait approximately 1 minute after pump starts to allow vacuum to build up.
- Open valve in green hose on your boat.
- When sewage stops flowing, your tank is empty. (If the pump shuts off, the tank may be full. See Full Pump Out Tank Instructions below.)
- Turn off the pump.
- Flush Your Tank
- Add some fresh water to your holding tank and pump out as in step B above.
- Go Ashore
- Close valve at the boat end of hose
- Close valve on pump at green end of nose
- Remove green hose from your boat and coil on pump. Do not detach from the pump
- Remove power cord and coil on pump.
- Roll pump to pump out door area on dockhouse.
- Pump Out
- Attach the yellow hose to the yellow valve on the pump.
- Put the other end of the yellow hose in the pump out room drain. Have an assistant hold it there.
- Plug pump into outlet in pump out room.
- Open the yellow valve on the pump.
- Turn the pump switch to 'discharge'.
- When discharge stops ("empty" light is on), turn off pump switch.
- Close the yellow valve on the pump.
- Flush The Pump/Hose
- Use a 5 gallon bucket full of water, and follow steps b and e above, drawing clean water through the intake hose and discharging water through the discharge hose to flush the hoses/tank.
- Add 1 cup of bleach to 5 gal of water and repeat step 1.
- Make sure the pump out sink is clean
- Store equipment where you found it and lock all doors.
- Report any problems to the dockmaster.
- Wash your hands with soap and water. Discard rubber gloves in dumpster
Full Pump Out Tank Instructions - In the event the pump tank becomes full during pump out, the pump will automatically stop pumping. The tank will need to be emptied at the dockhouse and then the boat pump out can be resumed. Do the following.
- Turn off pump switch and all 3 valves.
- Very slowly remove the hose fitting from your boat,to allow waste to drain back into boat.
- Carefully move the hose to the dock and roll whole assembly to pump out area at dockhouse.
- Very carefully follow step 4 and 5 above to empty pump out tank.
- Then resume pumping the boat with step 1F.
This procedure supersedes all previous DYC instructions concerning operation of the this portion of the DYC facilities.