Splicing Information for Dock Lines
16 Nov 2015
The Dahlgren Yacht Club requires wet slip holders to use dock lines containing thimbles and shackles, for any lines attached to the eyebolts on the dock. The purpose of this requirement is to provide a higher safety level for the owner's boat, the dock, and the other boats in the vicinity. These dock lines will help prevent chafing and breakage of lines attached to the eye bolts. For specific requirements, refer to Standard Operating Procedures - Dock Use SOP.
Dock lines without pre-spliced loops in one end.
- Splice a thimble into the end of a dock line.
- Connect the line to the dock by inserting the shackle through the thimble and the eyebolt on the dock.
- Secure the shackle by threading the closing bolt into the shackle.
- Tie off the closing bolt by wrapping non-corrosive wire through the hole in the bolt and around the shackle.
Dock lines with pre-spliced loops in one end.
- Wrap the end of the loop around the thimble (conversely; insert the thimble into the end of the loop).
- Tie down the loop so the thimble doesn't fall out, preferably by wrapping a smaller line or whipping thread around it.
- Attach to the dock eyebolts with a shackle as described above.
For examples, observe what others have done at the dock.